Cooking with Sal: California Dreamin’
“All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray” …
Well the leaves aren’t brown but man has the sky been gray lately. Quarantine is hard enough but when every day feels like a winter’s day it really can make you dream of traffic in LA. If it isn’t going to act like warm weather outside then I’m going to pretend its warm weather inside. Besides, I have to say I’m enjoying this whole ice cream thing, and so far, we have been trying some cool ideas to spice up the rotation of dairy delights.
This one I took a bit, and I mean a bit, of a healthy turn. We used the base of the ice cream listed below for your standard vanilla ice cream, but I am borderline obsessed with a good crunch to my food when appropriate. With ice cream, if you can complement it with a good crunch (like a solid waffle cone) it somehow enhances the yum-yum factor. With that I began rummaging through my pantry and located some Chocolate Chia Coconut Granola. This stuff is found at your local Aldi, is gluten free, and tastes delicious. Use about 2 cups and crushed it in to some smaller bits. Trust me on this one, you’ll dig it as a treat and as far as ice cream goes this is all natural as you are going to get.
To make the basic vanilla ice cream you need:
- 3 Cups of heavy cream
- 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Two Tablespoons of vanilla
- 2 Cups of Gluten free Chia Coconut Granola (crushed coarsely)
This is what you do:
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixer or food processor and blend it until it turns into whipped cream.
- Once the cream is whipped, add the condensed milk and vanilla. Mix briefly until everything is blended.
- Crush 2 cups of the Granola
- Pour into a metal bread pan
- Mix in the granola with a spoon until everything is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle some on top for good measure
- Cover the ice cream with parchment paper
- Let it freeze for 5 hours
The crunch of the granola stands up in the ice cream after everything is frozen and adds just the right amount of chocolate to the dish. So yummy the whole family was…
“California Dreamin on such a winters day”
PS Honestly… what is with this weather! We are days away from May already!