The Flurry Takes Over Saratoga Springs This Weekend
Photograph by Andrzej Pilarczyk
Get Happy Feet!
Yes, it used be called the Dance Flurry Festival, the Dance Flurry or the Flurry Festival, but these days, the name has officially been shortened to simply the Flurry. And, yes, the 32nd annual Flurry is taking over Saratoga Springs this weekend.
Of course, you don’t have to love dancing in order to enjoy the Flurry. In fact, you can just sit back and listen to three days of nearly non-stop fabulous music without ever kicking up your heels.
Taking place at a wide assortment of venues throughout Saratoga Springs from Friday-Sunday (February 15-17), the fest is a marathon of music and dancing at more than a dozen different locations around town – workshops, dance instruction, concerts, dance parties, storytelling, kids’ activities and lots, lots more. And, yes, there’s plenty of music from all around the globe, from the traditional to the contemporary.
In short, there are gazillions of great things to do and see and hear at the Flurry. Here are just a few suggestions:
* Mid-Winter Beach Party with Big Fez & The Surfmatics (7pm Friday at the Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
* Techno Contra Dance Party with Alexandra Deis-Lauby and the Buddy System (12midnight Friday at the Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
* Ron Gordon’s Jug Band Jam (at 2:45pm Saturday at the Hilton’s Pavilion Room)
* Concert by the Dylan Perrillo Orchestra (at 2pm Saturday at the Parting Glass)
* Zydeco Dance Party by Curley Taylor & Zydeco Trouble (at 12:45pm at City Center’s Meeting Room 2)
* Concert by the Gaslight Tinkers (11pm Saturday at Putnam Place)
* Ragtime Dances with Martha Griffin and Spare Parts (1:15pm Sunday at City Center’s Meeting Room 1)
* Rock and Roll Dance Party with Graham Tichy & the New Lowdown (at 12:15pm Sunday at the Hilton Melita Ballroom)
So you can definitely have a great, great time at the Flurry without ever stepping onto the dance floor. But you’d better bring along your dancin’ shoes because chances are good that the music’s gonna move ya…
WHAT: THE FLURRY
WHERE: Various locations, Saratoga Springs
WHEN: Friday-Sunday (February 15-17)
WHO: Jay Ungar & Molly Mason, Alex Torres & His Latin Band, Graham Tichy & the New Lowdown, Jesse Lege & Bayou Brew, Big Fez & The Surfmatics, Reggie Harris, Quickstep, The Resonators, Sweet Megg & The Wayfarers, more
HOW MUCH: $115 full festival; various prices for individual sessions throughout the weekend
MORE UPCOMING 2019 FESTIVALS
HIGH MUD COMEDY FEST @ MASS MoCA, North Adams, March 29 & 30
TASTE OF COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, June 7-9
MOUNTAIN JAM @ Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel, June 13-16
TAIL WINDS MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Hudson Valley Regional Airport, Wappingers Falls, June 29
FREIHOFER’S SARATOGA JAZZ FESTIVAL @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, June 29 & 30
GREEN RIVER FESTIVAL @ Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, July 12-14
WOODSTOCK 50 @ Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, August 16-18
BETHEL WOODS MUSIC AND CULTURE FESTIVAL @ Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel, August 16-18