FIVE FIRSTS: Glenn Szymanski of Tines
NAME: Glenn Szymanski
BAND AFFILIATION: Tines
INSTRUMENT: Guitar/Backing Vocals/Production
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Journey’s Escape
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Bon Jovi and Cinderella in 1987 on the Slippery When Wet tour
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … played – elementary school trumpet/french horn; owned – Harmony acoustic guitar
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … In elementary school I was probably faking all the horn fingerings. On guitar, “You’re Gonna Get It!” by Free Cheese
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Free Cheese, 1989. Our one and only show was Caryn Pritchard’s 15th birthday party. It was a huge success. After that we morphed into Split Decision and then Support, with members going on to join Snapcase and form Texas Is the Reason.
On Saturday (May 19), guitarist Glenn Szymanski and his bandmates in the Buffalo-based proto-metal band Tines – also featuring Kelly Murphy, formerly of Greater Nippertown’s Empire State Troopers – take the stage at Pauly’s Hotel in Albany, where they’ll share the stage with Utica doom-metalheads Twin Speak and Greater Nippertown’s own shoegazer-metal crew Yoma. Music kicks off at 8:30pm; admission is $7.