FEST: The Flurry Takes Over Saratoga This Weekend
Photograph by Andrzej Pilarczyk
Get Happy Feet!
Yes, it used be called the Dance Flurry Festival, the Dance Flurry or the Flurry Festival, but these days, the name has officially been shortened to simply the Flurry. And, yes, the 31st annual Flurry is taking over Saratoga Springs this weekend.
Of course, you don’t have to love dancing in order to enjoy the Flurry. In fact, you can just sit back and listen to three days of nearly non-stop fabulous music without ever kicking up your heels.
Taking place at a wide assortment of venues throughout Saratoga Springs from Friday-Sunday (February 16-18), the fest is a marathon of music and dancing at more than a dozen different locations around town – workshops, dance instruction, concerts, dance parties, storytelling, kids’ activities and lots, lots more. And, yes, there’s plenty of music from all around the globe, from the traditional to the contemporary.
In short, there are gazillions of great things to do and see and hear at the Flurry. Here are just a few suggestions:
* Sock Hop Swing with the Graham Tichy & the New Lowdown (10pm Friday at the Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
* Techno Contra Dance Party with VanNorstrand and the Buddy System (12midnight Friday at the Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
* Ron Gordon’s Jug Band Jam (at 1:15pm Saturday at the Hilton’s Pavilion Room)
* Concert by Jorge Gomez & Alta Havana (at 4:30pm Saturday at Caffe Lena)
* Hot Dog!, a concert of Uncle Dave Macon songs and banjo licks by George Wilson (6:45pm Saturday at the Hilton’s Whitney Room)
* Zydeco Dance Party by C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band (at 10:15pm at City Center’s Meeting Room 2)
* Tangos in the Night with Spare Parts (10:30pm Saturday at the City Center’s Meeting Room 1)
* Songs of Spirit: Northeast Native American Traditions by Joe & Jesse Bruchac (12:30pm Sunday at the Hilton’s Phila Room)
* Old Songs Present: New York Women Singing for Suffrage (at 2:30pm Sunday at the Hilton’s Broadway Rooms 1, 2 & 3)
So you can definitely have a great, great time at the Flurry without ever stepping onto the dance floor. But you’d better bring along your dancin’ shoes because chances are good that the music’s gonna move ya…
WHAT: THE FLURRY
WHERE: Various locations, Saratoga Springs
WHEN: Friday-Sunday February 16-18
WHO: Jay Ungar & Molly Mason, Graham Tichy & the New Lowdown, Rosie Newton & the Green Mountain Playboys, Garland Nelson, Reggie Harris, the Piggly Wigglies, George Wilson, Annie & the Hedonists, Peter & Mary Alice Amidon, more
HOW MUCH: $110 full festival; various prices for individual sessions throughout the weekend
ADDITIONAL UPCOMING 2018 FESTIVALS
HUDSON JAZZ FESTIVAL @ Hudson Hall, Hudson, February 16-18
A TASTE OF COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, June 8-10
MOUNTAIN JAM @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, June 15-17
CLEARWATER’S GREAT HUDSON RIVER REVIVAL @ Croton Point Park, Croton-on-Hudson, June 16 & 17
OLD SONGS FESTIVAL OF TRADITIONAL MUSIC & DANCE, Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont, June 22-24
FREIHOFER’S SARATOGA JAZZ FESTIVAL @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, June 23 & 24
COUNTRYFEST @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, July 7
GREY FOX BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL @ Walsh Farm, Oak Hill, July 19-22