FIVE FIRSTS: Clay Ross of Ranky Tanky
NAME: Clay Ross
BAND AFFILIATION: Ranky Tanky
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Thriller by Michael Jackson
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Hall and Oates
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Violin
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns N’ Roses
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … A garage band in middle school.
Guitarist Clay Ross and the Charleston-based quintet Ranky Tanky make their Greater Nippertown debut as part of the Music Haven at Proctors Passport Concert series at 7:30pm tonight (Friday, February 9) at Proctors’ GE Theatre in Schenectady. Fusing jazz, R&B, gospel and the Gullah music of South Carolina into a sound all their own, the quintet’s self-titled debut album has risen to No. 1 on Billboard’s Jazz and contemporary jazz album charts. Tickets are $25.