FIVE FIRSTS: Nick Millevoi of Desertion Trio
NAME: Nick Millevoi
BAND AFFILIATION: Desertion Trio
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … a used copy of Elvis’ Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite that was scratched up. The only track that played was “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry,” which Elvis refers to as “the saddest song I ever heard.” I’d sometimes listen to it 14 times in a row to get the experience of listening to the whole album.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I saw Neil Young play with Crazy Horse in my backyard. The music was amazing, but the size of his guitar amps changed my life for the better and my hearing for the worse.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a Gibson SG copy and a Maestro Phaser. A psychedelic start!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Over There,” the World War I song. The first line, “Johnny get your gun…” led me to get a copy of the Dalton Trumbo novel, “Johnny Got His Gun.” I was eleven and gained a deeper appreciation for my limbs.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … banned from playing live in the town we lived because our drummer had a rap sheet. He was 13. An auspicious beginning to a career in music for me. He now makes a living selling used hats in the Midwest.
Exploratory guitarslinger Nick Millevoi teams up with bassist Johnny DeBlase (Sabbath Assembly, Zevious) and drummer Kevin Shea (Mostly Other People Do The Killing, Talibam) as Desertion Trio invades One Caroline Street Bistro in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Sunday (July 16).