FIVE FIRSTS: Richard Shindell
NAME: Richard Shindell
BAND AFFILIATION: Richard Shindell, also Cry Cry Cry
INSTRUMENT: Acoustic and electric guitar, bouzouki
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Allman Brothers’ Eat a Peach
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … A bluegrass singer named Arlene Kesterson, somewhere in North Carolina. More or less at the same time, I saw Andres Segovia, Avery Fisher Hall in NYC. Can’t remember which came first. Both made quite an impression.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Yamaha classical guitar. Still have it.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Commander Cody’s “Everybody’s Doing It Now.” Performed with a friend as an instrumental at a high school talent show. We did not win. Had we sung the lyrics we would have won, I’m sure.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band. John Gorka was one of the leaders. I played lead guitar, sort of.
Sublime singer-songwriter Richard Shindell will step into the spotlight at The Linda in Albany at 8pm on Friday (April 14), accompanied by fiddler Sara Milonovich of Daisycutter. And leaving his band, the Railroad Boys, behind for the evening, Jim Gaudet will open the show with a rare solo set. Tickets are on sale now, priced at $20.