FIVE FIRSTS: Rick Morse of the Lazy Suns
Photograph by Andrzej Pilarczyk
NAME: Rick Morse
BAND AFFILIATION: The Lazy Suns
INSTRUMENT: pedal steel guitar, slide guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Bob Dylan’s Bringing It All Back Home
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Beach Boys with the Buckinghams opening at Union College, circa 1966-67
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A Lindell electric guitar and amp. My parrents bought it for me for Christmas. It was Japanese guitar. I just found out that a friend still has the guitar!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “It Ain’t Me, Babe” by Bob Dylan
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My first real band was Badge (which was originally called Blue Skys), but my band in high school was the Danes and a folk group with four girl singers was called the Ides of March.
Rick Morse slips behind his pedal steel to join the Lazy Suns at the Low Beat in Albany on Thursday (March 3). Woodstock singer/songwriter Marc Delgado (from the band Wounded Knee) opens the show, and the Suns will join him on a few songs from his new CD High in a Neon Dive before they play a set of their own featuring songs from their forthcoming album.