FESTIVAL FEVER: The Flurry in Saratoga Springs, 2/12-14/16
Photograph by Andrzej Pilarczyk
Get Happy Feet!
Yes, it used be called the Dance Flurry Festival, the Dance Flurry or the Flurry Festival, but these days, the name has officially been shortened to simply the Flurry. And, yes, it’s coming back to Saratoga Springs on the second weekend of February, just like always.
Of course, you don’t have to love dancing in order to enjoy the Flurry. In fact, you can just sit back and listen to three days of nearly non-stop fabulous music without ever kicking up your heels.
Taking place at a wide assortment of venues throughout Saratoga Springs from Friday-Sunday, February 12-14, the fest is a marathon of music and dancing at 16 different locations around town – workshops, dance instruction, concerts, dance parties, storytelling, kids’ activities and lots, lots more. There is music from all around the globe, from the traditional to the contemporary, from the classic swing of the Gordon Webster Swing Band to the ’60s beach music of Big Fez & the Surfmatics to the eclecto-acoustic contra dance band Phase X.
There are gazillions of great things to do and see and hear at the Flurry. Here are just a few suggestions:
* A ’50s Sock Hop with the Graham Tichy Trio (7:15-8:30pm Friday at City Center’s Meeting Room 1)
* Sea Shanties & Drinking Songs with Bill Bracken (7:30pm-??? Friday at the Parting Glass)
* Classic Hip-Hop with Junious “House” Brickhouse (11:45am-12:45pm Saturday at City Center’s Room B&C)
* Bluegrass concert by mandolin master Frank Wakefield and his band (2:30-3:30pm Saturday at the Hilton Broadway Room)
* The Future of Music Past with Peter Siegel’s Gaslight Tinkers (10:15-11:15pm Saturday at Caffe Lena)
* A Journey Through Folk Music Thru India with Veena & Devesh Chandra 11:15am-12:15pm Sunday at the Hilton Alabama Room)
* Shout It Out: The Evolution of Black Vocal Tradition with Garland Nelson (11:45am-12:45pm Sunday at the Hilton Broadway Room)
* Romantic Valentine’s Day Couples Dance with the Bernstein Bard Quartet (4-5:15pm Sunday at the Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
So you can definitely have a great, great time at the Flurry without ever stepping onto the dance floor. But you’d better bring along your dancin’ shoes because chances are good that the music’s gonna move ya…
WHAT: THE FLURRY
WHERE: Various locations, Saratoga Springs
WHEN: Friday-Sunday, February 12-14
WHO: Frank Wakefield Band, Jay Ungar & Molly Mason, Graham Tichy Band, Glenn Weiser, Three Quarter North, the Spurs USA, Hot Club of Saratoga, George Wilson, Big Fez & the Surfmatics, more
HOW MUCH: $85 full festival
ADDITIONAL UPCOMING FESTIVALS FOR 2016:
PEOPLE’S MUSIC NETWORK WINTER GATHERING @ Hackett Middle School, Albany, January 29-31
BRIDGE JAZZ FESTIVAL @ Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy & the Massry Center for the Arts, Albany, February 26 & 27
HIGH MUD COMEDY FESTIVAL @ MASS MoCA, North Adams, March 11 & 12
ROCK ‘N DERBY FESTIVAL @ Schaghticoke Fairgrounds, Schaghticoke, May 20-22
MOUNTAIN JAM @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, June 2-5
A TASTE OF COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, June 10-12
FREIHOFER’S SARATOGA JAZZ FESTIVAL @ Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, June 25 & 26