Five Firsts: Doug Williams of Wild Ponies
NAME: Doug Williams
BAND AFFILIATION: Wild Ponies
INSTRUMENT: Guitar and vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Geez, I THINK it was probably an R.E.M. record. Oh, actually, it was a Dead Kennedys record. My first job was building skateboards when I was 14 or so.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My folks took me to a couple Jimmy Buffett shows way before Parrot Heads were a thing. That guy actually has some really good songs. Go check them out again, seriously. The first show I CHOSE to go to was Motley Crue. Girls, Girls, Girls. Spinning drum cages and pyrotechnics. It was awesome. Guns ‘N Roses opened.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Banjo. Little bitty kid.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I don’t know what song it was, but I was probably about five years old or so at the Galax Fiddlers Convention, up on the big stage. I still have the pictures somewhere. The song was probably “Sally Ann.” My grandfather always said that “‘Sally Ann’ oughta be the **blankety blank** National Anthem!,” so that’s probably what I was playing.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Other than the Martinsville Middle School Sixth Grade Concert Band? I guess it was that no-name rock and roll cover band that Telisha talked about. We could really rock out until 10:30 at night.
Doug Williams teams up with his bass-playing partner Telisha Williams as the Nashville-based Americana duo Wild Ponies make their Nippertown debut at the Steamer No. 10 Theatre in Albany at 8pm Friday (September 5). C.B. Smith opens the show. Tickets are $13 in advance; $15 at the door.
BUT WAIT, we’re giving away a pair of FREE tickets to the show. GO HERE to enter…