Media Watch: March Musical Madness
In the spirit of basketball bracket-mania, the fine folks at Upstate Live have concocted their own musical variation of March Madness.
“This is our first year in creating this tournament-style competition between artists and bands that originated in Upstate New York,” explains managing editor Pete Mason, “and we think with Upstate New York’s history of incredible musicians, we have the potential for an interesting style of March Madness.”
They’ve divided Upstate New York into four regions and selected 16 bands from each region. The competitors were chosen from throughout musical history, including such veterans as Blue Oyster Cult, Pete Seeger, Ronnie James Dio, Rick James and Nippertown’s own Blotto. Readers are asked to vote online for their favorites, and first round voting will conclude on Thursday (March 20); the second round begins on Friday.
Here are the complete bracket pairings for the first round of the 518 East Regionals with the seedings noted in parenthesis:
(1) Ominous Seapods vs. (16) Lucid
(2) Blotto vs. (15) Formula 5
(3) Skinless vs. (14) Digital Dharma
(4) Peter Prince vs. (13) Mister F/Timbre Coup
(5) Phantogram vs. (12) Restless Streets
(6) Conehead Buddha vs. (11) Titanics
(7) Stellar Young vs. (10) Stigmata
(8) Eastbound Jesus vs. (9) Wild Adriatic
GO HERE to vote…