BEST OF 2013: Tim Livingston’s Favorite Shows of the Year
Story and photographs by Tim Livingston
Additional photograph by Kirsten Ferguson
Here’s a list of a dozen concerts that I attended last year and had a lot of fun at:
1. “Home Bass: 4 Strings, 4 Hearts for Habitat” @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, January 27. Featuring Tommy Stinson, Melissa Auf der Maur, Meshell Ndegeocello and Melora Creager.
2. Nick Lowe @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, August 21
3. Ryder & Hazel with the Dust Bowl Faeries @ the Branch Gallery, North Adams, October 31.
4. Alejandro Escovedo & the Sensitive Boys @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, April 7
5. The Flatlanders @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, April 14.
6. Trapper Schoepp & the Shades @ the Half Moon, Hudson, June 28.
7. Richard Barone @ Valentine’s Music Hall, Albany, September 28.
8. Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, August 10.
9. The Pluto Walkers @ Red’s Restaurant, Coxsackie, December 27.
10. Grainbelt @ Valentine’s Music Hall, Albany, November 29. Their annual Black Friday show…
11. Simi Stone @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, December 7.
12. Kristmas Kook @ Club Helsinki, Hudson, December 21. Featuring Musty Chiffon, Tommy Stinson/Chip Roberts, the Double D’s, Human Sexual Response and more.
SHOWS I WISH I DIDN’T MISS… BUT DID:
Peter Wolf @ The Egg, Albany
Joe Ely @ the Hangar, Troy
The Waterboys @ The Linda and The Egg (both shows)
OTHER FAVORITE THINGS OF 2013:
ALBUM OF THE YEAR: New Model Army’s Between Dog and Wolf
MOST WELCOME RETURN: The Replacements
BEST NEW BAND: The Dust Bowl Faeries
Runners-up: The Faux Meek, the Double D’s, Monster Jaw
BEST DRESSED BAND: The Dust Bowl Faeries (part of what makes them Best New Band)
BEST PERFORMANCE UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES: Richard Barone at Valentine’s Music Hall, September 28. With the misfortune of playing in town on a day when “everything” was going on, Richard treated the smallish crowd to a blockbuster show worthy of a packed venue.
PERSONAL HIGHLIGHTS: A new album (the Last Conspirators’ A Celebration of Fury), a new acoustic duo (Two Cats in Suits), a new radio show (“Radio Warfare” on WGXC-FM) and a return to the main stage of LarkFest after 32 years. And, yes, you can go back.
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT: Road managing seven Dust Bowl Faeires shows without losing a single piece of equipment, hat box or deer head.
MORE OF NIPPERTOWN’S BEST OF 2013 LISTS
Greg Haymes’ Favorite Concerts of the Year
Berkshire on Stage’s Best Plays & Musicals of the Year
Richard Brody’s Top 14 Shows of the Year
Timothy Reidy’s Top 10 Concerts Outside of Albany
Timothy Reidy’s Best Albany Concerts of the Year
Stanley Johnson’s Top 15 Most Memorable Entertainment Events of the Year
Fred Rudofsky’s Top 25 Concerts of the Year
Timothy Reidy’s Year in Review Video
Mike Hotter’s Favorite Albums of the Year
Fred Rudofsky’s Best Albums of the Year
J Hunter’s Best Concerts of the Year
J Hunter’s Best Jazz Albums, Part II
J Hunter’s Best Jazz Albums, Part I
Got a Best of 2013 list that you’d like to share with Nippertown readers? Best concerts of the year? Best Local 518 music moments of the year? Best plays? Best art gallery exhibits? Best books by local authors? Best whatever? Please keep it local, but send it along to email@example.com