Five Firsts: Zachary Cale
NAME: Zachary Cale
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I bought was Ride the Lightning by Metallica. I bought it on cassette at the shopping mall when I was 12 years old or so.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I saw Metallica play on the “Black” album tour. I was 14 years old. I was living overseas in Indonesia at the time (my parent’s were international school teachers). Metallica played in the soccer stadium, but many of young Indonesian fans couldn’t afford tickets. There were hundreds of kids loitering outside the gates, and the cops got really violent. A riot started, and eventually the gates were destroyed, cop cars flipped over, shopping mall burned to the ground (same shopping mall I bought the Metallica tape from). It was totally insane! Metallica played while all this was going on. I remember being freaked out and excited at the same time. At the end of the concert my Dad told me I would never see a better show than that. He was right.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A purple Indonesian-made Yamaha six-string electric guitar. My parents bought it for me for Christmas. I was 13 years old then.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Kill Your Television” by Ned’s Atomic Dustbin. Still an awesome song. Really underrated band, I think.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I was ever in was called the Astronauts. I played guitar and wrote all the music. It started when I was a sophomore in high school and lasted until the end of my junior year. We were a poppy punk band that wrote originals mainly, but covered bands like Dinosaur Jr, Weezer and the Butthole Surfers on occasion.
Zachary Cale celebrates his new album, “Blue Rider,” with a CD release party at the Half Moon in Hudson at 8pm on Saturday (October 5) with Last Good Tooth and Alexander Turnquist sharing the stage. Admission is $5. Cale will also be at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on Monday (October 7), sandwiched between headliners Crystal Stilts and opening act Better Pills. Showtime is 8:30pm, and tickets are $11 in advance; $13 at the door.
BUT WAIT… Have we got a deal for you! We’re giving away a pair of FREE TICKETS for the Monday night show at Valentine’s to a lucky Nippertown reader! To enter the contest, just GO HERE…