Five Firsts: Ency Austin of the Mosstins
NAME: Ency Austin
BAND AFFILIATION: The Mosstins
INSTRUMENT: Fiddle, mandolin and guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I think it was Jimi Hendrix… and I remember my parents were nervous. I had very eclectic tastes for a young girl, and it ran the gamut from CSNY to Joni Mitchell to Jeff Beck and more…
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Judy Collins at SPAC. I was 16 years old and stunned.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … guitar was the first, then mandolin and violin the last (and most favorite). Strings… always has to have strings.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “High on a Mountain” by Ola Belle Reed, and I still do it first!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Ency Austin solo and my first favorite duo… the Mosstins!
Ency Austin joins her multi-instrumentalist husband Marc Moss, as the acoustic duo the Mosstins take the stage at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Saturday (October 5) to celebrate the release of their debut album, “Hardscrabble.” They’ll be joined by the Canal Street String Band in the latest installment of the Caffe’s See the Future! Saturday Night Sampler concert series. Tickets are $15 in advance; $17 at the door.