Five Firsts: Chris Corsano of the Joe McPhee/Chris Corsano Duo
NAME: Chris Corsano
BAND AFFILIATION: Joe McPhee-Chris Corsano Duo
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I had Devo’s Freedom of Choice as a kid, but I’m not sure if I bought that or maybe my older sister gave it to me (thanks Celeste!). I did a lot of those “12 cassettes for a penny” record clubs, too, so maybe the first thing I ever truly bought was (along with a bunch of other things) Jimi Hendrix’s Smash Hits, which was well worth the $0.000833.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … David Lee Roth “Eat ‘Em & Smile” tour at the Meadowlands for a friend’s birthday. I remember sitting way, way up in the nosebleeds behind these two dudes with real bushy hair and (comparitively) small fedora-type hats perched atop their ‘do’s. That’s Jersey in the late eighties for you! I remember Diamond Dave rode a giant inflatable microphone, the fedora’ed dudes smoked a TON of weed, and everybody was throwing paper airplanes in between sets (which was my favorite part).
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I took some piano lessons, but never got anywhere with it. Then I started playing drums when I was 13.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Maybe it was an audition for a battle of the bands. I was in my junior or senior year of high school. I had mono and was out sick for weeks, but snuck back into school to do the audition with my friends. It wasn’t a cover song – we were playing some noisy, experimental-ish thing. The bass stopped working, maybe the drum set fell apart, and we didn’t even get into the battle of the bands. Auspicious beginnings to my life in music!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I guess that would be the battle of the bands group. Sri Auro Bindi (or maybe it was Sri Auri Bindo… it’s been a while). The bassist came up with the name from changing a letter or two from Sri Aurobindo the Indian nationalist, writer, yogi, etc..
Envelope-pushing drummer Chris Corsano – recently named one of the 100 Greatest Drummers of Alternative Music by SPIN Magazine – teams up with free jazz saxophone giant Joe McPhee for a duo performance at the Spring Street Gallery in Saratoga Springs at 7:30pm on Wednesday (May 29). Tickets are priced on a sliding scale $6-$10.