Five Firsts: Tony Watt of Southeast Expressway
NAME: Tony Watt
BAND AFFILIATION: Southeast Expressway
INSTRUMENT: Acoustic Guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Doc & Merle Watson’s On Stage and Tony Rice’s Manzanita
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My dad ran sound for the Boston Bluegrass Union throughout my childhood, so I’ve been going to concerts since I was old enough to sleep through them. One of the first concerts I can remember going to was to see Bobby Brown or possibly New Edition at the old Boston Garden.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I started playing guitar when I was eight years old… but I only played for six months. I played piano poorly in elementary school, and picked the guitar back up at the age of 13.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS ,,, Probably Bach’s Prelude in C Major or Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” during a piano recital. I don’t think my teacher was into me playing these popular songs, but I just loved playing them so much at the time.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My dad’s traditional bluegrass band named True Life Bluegrass. I played with them for three years after college and before moving back down south. When I moved back up north from Nashville, I rejoined True Life Bluegrass and have been playing with them regularly for the past few years.
Bluegrass guitar master Tony Watt brings his Boston-based band Southeast Expressway to the hallowed stage of Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 7pm on Sunday evening (May 5). Tickets are $15 in advance; $17 at the door.