Five Firsts: Zan Strumfeld
NAME: Zan Strumfeld
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Spice Girls’ Spice. Ten years later I bought my first record, Simon & Garfunkel’s Bookends. I won’t tell you which I listen to more now.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … most likely something classical. My parents used to take me to a lot of great concerts as kid, many in Tanglewood and Washington Park. The first concert I can truly remember crying in excitement to see (that was the question, right?) was Backstreet Boys at the Pepsi Arena. Oh yes, I am the epitome of a ‘90s child.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … the piano. I took lessons from when I was four to about seven or so years old, but I hated practicing, and my teacher called me “Zen.”
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “For No One” by the Beatles.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I played clarinet for eight years, so if we’re counting elementary to high school bands, there you go. In college, I sang in a folk band called Captain Kip & the Ramblin’ Zans. It started out as a duo and then somehow became a band of six. We only played a few shows, but I had the time of my life. It was the first time I started to feel comfortable performing in front of an audience. Before that, I had such bad stage fright I would break out into hives all over my neck and chest anytime I was the center of attention. One time I tried to curb my fear by signing up for a public speaking class in high school. During the first class I had such an anxiety attack just from hearing the teacher explain the curriculum that I dropped the course that day. Not sure what changed, but sure as hell glad it did.
Singer-songwriter Zan Strumfeld is celebrating the release of her debut EP, “Someone New,” on Saturday (March 9) at More Bread & Jam in Cohoes, accompanied by a full band featuring August Sagehorn of Alta Mira, Bob Buckley of the Kamikaze Hearts, MR Poulopoulos and Brian Kelley. Palaytpus opens the festivities at 7pm.