Five Firsts: Lucy Kaplansky
NAME: Lucy Kaplansky
BAND AFFILIATION: Red Horse
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I think it was Joni Mitchell’s “Blue.”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Chicago and the Beach Boys, in 1975, I think, at the Chicago Stadium
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … first instrument I played was piano at about age 5, then my older brother’s acoustic guitar at age 10 or so. Then I got my first guitar at age 13, a Yamaha steel string.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I don’t know for sure, but one of the first was Joni Mitchell’s “The Circle Game” at my eighth grade graduation.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Steps in Flight when I was 17, with three other people. I played acoustic guitar and sang. We did some originals and some covers. The name of the band comes from a Jackson Browne song.
In support of her brand new solo album, “Reunion” on Red House Records, Lucy Kaplansky makes a Labor Day weekend tour stop at the Guthrie Center in Great Barrington at 8pm on Saturday (September 1). Tix are $18.