Five Firsts: Dave Wilson of Chatham County Line
NAME: Dave Wilson
BAND AFFILIATION: Chatham County Line
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, Harmonica, Voice
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I did the six-records-for-a-penny offer when I got a CD player years ago. If I remember, I got the Who’s “Greatest Hits,” “George Thorogood Live,” and I seriously cannot remember any of the others. They kept sending me CDs though when I lost track of the warning slips they would send.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … R.E.M., Green Tour, Charlotte Colosseum
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … In fifth grade I started the saxophone when everyone got instruments for band. When I got in too much trouble in band come seventh grade, I talked my parents into getting me my first guitar. It was a Fender Stratocaster knock-off that I still have a few pieces of somewhere.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … That is a tough one. Besides the school band, I definitely remember playing “All Along the Watchtower” with my first garage band.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I talked some buddies into getting a bass guitar and drums in order to start that first band. At first we were called Three Legged Melody because the drummer had a three-legged dog named Melody. We thought that was a little too weird, so we became Vintage World and played some of the classics as well as a few songs we wrote together. Of those songs, I could probably get through a little of “Other Side of the Moon,” which was our serious hit. We played it twice at our first real gig because we ran out of songs.
Funny enough, the drummer is now a pretty awesome mandolin player who I catch up with when I’m in the Seattle area.
Dave Wilson and his Chatham County Line bandmates bring their alt country-meets-contemporary bluegrass sound to Club Helsinki in Hudson at 9pm on Friday (August 17), in support of their brand new live CD/DVD package, “Sight + Sound,” on Yep Roc Records. Tix are $15.