Five Firsts: Pete Levin of David Malachowski & the Woodstock Allstars
NAME: Pete Levin
BAND AFFILIATION: David Malachowski & the Woodstock Allstars, Uncle Funk, Python Soup, more
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oscar Pettiford & Julius Watkins. A 10″ LP. I don’t remember the title.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … Not sure. I think the Mitchell-Ruff Duo. (Bass & French Horn) They came to my school.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Eb Alto Horn (“Peck Horn”)
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “A More Humane Mikado” (Gilbert & Sullivan) in an eighth grade play. Don’t ask!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Jazz Notes (We sucked.)
Pete Levin sidles up to his keyboards for a gig with David Malachowski & the Woodstock Allstars in Riverfront Park in Athens at 7pm on Friday (July 20). In addition to Levin, the band features guitarslinger-bandleader David Malachowski, drummer Gary Burke, bassist Mike Vecseglia, vocalist Machan Taylor, pianist Daniel A. Weiss, harmonicat Dennis Gruenling and saxman Erik Lawrence. Admission is free. Then at 9pm on Saturday (July 21), Levin will join the Marc Black Band in concert at the Colony Cafe in Woodstock.