Five Firsts: Peg Delaney
NAME: Peg Delaney
BAND AFFILIATION: The Peg Delaney Trio / Quartet
INSTRUMENT: piano, sometimes flute
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Bought my first record in NYC when I was 17 years old. Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue.” Still consider it the best record I ever bought.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Emerson, Lake and Palmer in Syracuse
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … the piano in my parents’ basement. Then in college, I bought a Gemmeinhardt flute at Hermie’s.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … at Notre Dame High School talent show, “The Shadow of Your Smile.” I played piano with Eighth Step director Margie Mengel singing.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … With Dick Gale (drums), Mike Pellera (piano) and Bill Delaney (bass). I was Peg August, playing flute. We did alot of Horace Silver and Herbie Hancock tunes.
Jazz pianist Peg Delaney leads the Peg Delaney Trio into Grappa ’72 in Albany at 6:30pm on Friday (June 15). She will also play Jazz Vespers at the First Reformed Church of Schenectady at 5pm on Sunday (June 17) with bassist Bill Delaney and drummer Tom D’Andrea.