Five Firsts: Amy Rigby
NAME: Amy Rigby
BAND AFFILIATION: Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby
INSTRUMENT: acoustic and electric guitar, piano and organ, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “11-17-70” by Elton John
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Elton John at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. It was the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour. I won a pair of tickets by calling the radio station so many times I can still remember the phone number.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … piano (Is this looking like I was obsessed with Elton John? I was. But piano was too lonely, and I hated to practice, so I gave it up until recently)
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS …A Langley Schools Music Project-type version of “Ohio” performed by my sixth grade class. We also did a kick-ass “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.” Our music teacher wore sideburns.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Stare Kits – a NYC no wave-era band. I played drums. We played two gigs, the second a reunion.
Singer-songwriter-keyboardist-guitarist Amy Rigby joins forces with her husband, veteran British rocker Wreckless Eric, for a return concert at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on Saturday (April 28), previewing material from their upcoming album, “A Working Museum.” The Black Fox River Project opens the show at 8pm.