Five Firsts: Sean Hill of the Assortment of Crayons
NAME: Sean Hill
BAND AFFILIATION: The Assortment of Crayons
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd. I was obsessed with Pink Floyd for a good three years of my life and downloaded over 20 bootlegs online. I made sure I found quotes of band members endorsing the bootlegging before I went ahead and acquired them. Led Zeppelin, for instance, is highly against bootlegging.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … the Cream reunion concert at Madison Square Garden in 2005, October 24th. I didn’t really understand music that well and it was a very loud concert. The bass really hurt my ears but I was very interested in Eric Clapton’s guitar work as he was one of my first guitar idols. Ginger Baker also remains one of my favorite drummers. I remember after the concert you could barely see across the arena due to the amount of smoke in the air.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … the first musical instrument I learned to play was the piano. I took 5 years of lessons until I quit to concentrate on other instruments. I still play as much piano as possible and love to write on it.
4. THE FIRST SONG I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Excluding piano recitals and the like, the first song I ever performed live in public was a song called “Jelly Jam,” and it was two-chord song based in C mixolydian with a riff encompassing the C7 chord and the Bbmaj7 chord. Sometimes we would make the Bbmaj7 a Bbdom7, which would alter the sound ever so slightly.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I was ever in was called Melt. It was the same band that I performed my first song with, and we went by various different names including Toxic Nipples, Guerrilla Warfare, SMEK, and many more. The line up was also inconsistent and various members in Melt were kicked out, yet ended up in the current band I play in The Assortment of Crayons.