Five Firsts: Liz Simmons of Long Time Courting
NAME: Liz Simmons
BAND AFFILIATION: Long Time Courting
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oh goodness, I don’t remember. Probably Wilson Phillips or something equally ’80s pop.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Well, I grew up with musician parents, so I attended concerts in utero! In fact, my mom experienced her first labor pains while playing a gig.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A ukulele
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Probably a song taught in school, perhaps one of the rounds we learned in first grade.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … A duo with my friend in high school. We covered Indigo Girls songs and wrote some stuff as well. We both sang and played guitar.
Guitarist-vocalist Liz Simmons and the other members of the Boston-based Celtic-folk quartet Long Time Courting – fiddler-vocalist Sarah Blair, flutist-vocalist Shannon Heaton and cellist-vocalist Ariel Friedman – take the hallowed stage at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Friday, March 2. Tix are $14 in advance; $16 at the door.