Five Firsts: Ed Hamell of Hamell On Trial
NAME: Ed Hamell
BAND AFFILIATION: Hamell On Trial
INSTRUMENT: LOUD GUITAR
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Introducing the Beatles” – the Vee Jay one, not the Capitol on (Meet the …). Actually, my mother might have bought that one for me. The first album I might have bought was “The Blues Project with Tommy Flanders at the Cafe Au Go Go.” At the local grocery store, if I remember.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS …The Lovin’ Spoonful at the Syracuse War Memorial, followed by the Who (I met Keith Fucking Moon) and Jimi Hendrix.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a sax for the school band. Then I got a Greco acoustic in the sixth grade. It was pretty cool, made by Goya. I wish I still had it, but I smashed it after I saw the Who on the Smothers Brothers TV show.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “The Theme From The Monkees.” But we changed it to, “Hey, hey, we’re the Stepping Stones…” (See below)
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … the Stepping Stones
In addition to a sonic barrage of his usual songs and jokes, Hamell On Trial returns to Nippertown at 8pm on Saturday (February 25) to premier a new, as-yet-untitled, more theatrical piece based on his experiences as a bartender in Syracuse. The performance takes place at the Steamer No. 10 Theatre in Albany, kicking off the theater’s new Eclectic Performance Series. Tix are priced at $13 in advance; $15 at the door. BUT WAIT… We’ve got a deal for you! We’re giving away a pair of FREE TIX to the Hamell On Trial concert to a lucky Nippertown reader! To enter the contest, just go here…