Five Firsts: Jill Sobule
NAME: Jill Sobule
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Ziggy Stardust”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Alice Cooper’s Billion Dollar Babies show – on mushrooms. Really!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a drum-set in red sparkle
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Hey Joe”
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … We were The Secrets of the Vatican. Even in eighth grade, I loved bad band names.
The sublime pop singer-songwriter Jill Sobule – who scored a hit with “I Kissed a Girl” in 1995 and is currently working on a musical version of Isaac Bashevis Singer’s gender-bending play, “Yentl” – returns to Club Helsinki in Hudson at 8pm on Thursday (February 23). Tix are $15.