Five Firsts: Greg Marek of Formula 5
NAME: Greg Marek
BAND AFFILIATION: Formula 5
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … first album. summer between eighth and ninth grade I bought Led Zeppelin’s “How the West Was Won”. It was so powerful. I learned so much from John Bonham. He gave me the foundation for my playing.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My first concert was a Dave Matthews Band show at SPAC. I think I was 16. It was great. Carter is such an influence on my playing. The man is an absolute master of the skins.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … My family is full of drummers on both sides. My grandfather played a lot of big band stuff back in the day. So for my 13th birthday he bestowed upon me his 1950s Ludwig jazz kit. I knew the gem that I had but played it anyway. It now sits safely stored away, but I do keep the snare out because it sounds sooo nice.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Oh boy. To be honest, it was either “Damnit” by Blink 182 or “The General” by Dispatch.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I went to a pretty small school, so my selection of kids to play with was pretty slim. Despite this, I organized a pretty sweet trio with my buddy J.T. Maple. We did a lot of covers. Ironically, we were called the Trio.
Greg Marek slips behind his drums to power his band Formula 5 at the Guthrie Bell Production Christmas Party at Red Square in Albany on Saturday night (December 10). Formula 5 will hit the stage after the McLovins, who kick off the festivities at 7pm. Tix are $8 in advance; $10 at the door.