Five Firsts: Marco Benevento
Name: Marco Benevento
BAND AFFILIATION: The Marco Benevento Trio
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Bon Jovi’s “Slippery When Wet.”
2. THE FIRST TIME I EVER HEARD MILES DAVIS WAS … “On The Corner,” “In A Silent Way,” “Bitches Brew” and “Live Evil” were some of the first Miles records that I actually “heard.” I was heavy into those records my freshman year at Berklee (1995). I was listening to Miles earlier on in high school (1991), but the electric shit really caught my attention.
3. THE FIRST TIME I PLAYED A FENDER RHODES WAS … High school jazz band at Ramapo High in Franklin Lakes, NJ. They let me borrow the Rhodes for a summer and I still have it.
4. THE FIRST TIME I GOT PAID FOR A GIG WAS … When I was 15, I played in a band that did some Doors, the Who and other classic rock tunes. We played a lot of Sweet Sixteen parties. I’m pretty sure we each made 50 bucks!
5. MY FIRST CHOICE FOR WHERE TO GO WHEN I WANT TO CHILL OUT … My piano. It puts me in the right frame of mind every time.
Keyboard master Marco Benevento leads his trio – also featuring bassist Dave Dreiwitz (from Ween) and drummer Andy Borger (from Ani DiFranco’s group) – into Red Square in Albany on Saturday night. Pungee kicks off the evening’s festivities at 9pm. Tix are $12 in advance; $15 at the door.