FIVE FIRSTS: Mateo Vosganian of Wild Adriatic
NAME: Mateo Vosganian
BAND AFFILIATION: Wild Adriatic
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first record I ever bought with my own money was a cassette tape of Marshall Crenshaw’s self-titled album. My dad, being a musician and huge music fan himself, had introduced me to Marshall Crenshaw from a very early age, and subsequently I’ve always had an attachment to his music.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Styx and REO Speedwagon at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Like I said… Dad was a big music head and hailed from Chicago, so when these two bands from his hey-day came through, he had to bring me to show me “how it’s done.”
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … My father’s ’60s Rogers Drumset. Still the most beautiful drumkit I’ve ever seen/played. My first kit that I owned was a Premier Cabria bought from a tiny music shop down the road from my childhood house. That kit took me through several tours with my first high school band.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Eve 6’s “Inside/Out.” Queensbury High School Talent Show, 2000. Things have gotten progressively less lame since then. I hope.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Horse In A Box, a high school pop-punk band I started with Travis Gray (lead singer of my current band Wild Adriatic) back in 2000. We recorded and toured until 2005 when college took us in very different directions. Ten years later, Travis and I ended up back in a band together, doing what we love. That’s got to be some sort of serendipity.
Mateo Vosganian slips behind his drum kit to power up Wild Adriatic when they take the stage at PearlPalooza on North Pearl Street in Albany at 3:15pm on Saturday (September 24). The free fest gets underway at 12noon and features performances by Mutemath, Company of Thieves, Locksley, Black Taxi, Ten Year Vamp, Around the World and Back and more. You can also catch Wild Adriatic in action at Uno’s Chicago Grill in Queensbury at 10pm on Friday (free) and at the Bad Pig Saloon in Schenectady at 2pm on Sunday.