Five Firsts: Jean Rohe of the Jean Rohe Trio
NAME: Jean Rohe
BAND AFFILIATION: Jean Rohe Trio
INSTRUMENT: voice, mandolin, percussion
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … probably the cassette single of “Waterfalls” by TLC when I was in fourth grade.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival with my aunt, a radio DJ, but I was too young to remember a thing.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … my Uncle Billy’s old upright piano which we inherited from him after he died.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … at my second grade talent show with my dad on guitar and the band of guys who lived next door to my family. I remember listening to them playing “Brown Eyed Girl” in their basement as I was falling asleep. Their drummer really dragged. The song was called “I Want to Walk A Mile in Your Shoes” by a kid band, Vitamin L. I wore my fancy clip-on earrings.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Accent, an all-female a cappella group led by some high-school seniors when I was in eighth grade. In addition to making me a better musician, I learned a lot about teen angst, the terrors of Advanced Placement Chemistry, and sex from my older and wiser peers.
Jean Rohe leads the Jean Rohe Trio – also featuring guitarist-vocalist Ilusha Tsinadze and violinist-vocalist Skye Steele – into Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Friday for an evening of original music inspired by Brazil, Perú and NYC. Tix are $14 in advance; $16 at the door; student rush tix available (with ID) for $5 at showtime.