Five Firsts: Deanna DeLuke of the Lucky Jukebox Brigade
NAME: Deanna DeLuke
BAND AFFILIATION: The Lucky Jukebox Brigade
INSTRUMENT: Vocals & Ukulele
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … A doo wop compilation on cassette when I was seven. I wanted the original version of “Earth Angel” by the Penguins, not the Crew-Cuts, and my mom tracked it down at Blue Note on Central Ave. I was always into the oldies stations on the radio, so that’s how I got turned on to doo wop.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The first concert that really meant something to me was Weezer, Saves the Day and Ozma at the Times Union Center. I was 14, obsessed with Weezer, and I had never been to anything like that before. I crowd-surfed, went home with bruises, and I was completely addicted. After that, I pretty much lived for shows. Saratoga Winners was the spot.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Piano as a kid, but I hated piano lessons because they felt like school, so before my lessons, I used to give my shoes to my dog Taffy and have her run out in the backyard with them. My mom wouldn’t leave the house while Taffy had my shoes, so she’d chase her, and by the time she caught her, it would be too late to go to piano. I’ve always been singing though, and I started playing electric guitar eventually – that was the first instrument I really liked.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Probably a Bright Eyes cover.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … A band I had with a friend in high school called Think Twice. We had a few of our own songs and a New Found Glory cover – nothing fancy, but we had a lot of fun.
Deanna DeLuke and her bandmates in the Lucky Jukebox Brigade will lead the charge into Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on Saturday night. It all kicks off at 7pm, and sharing the stage will be the Cast Before the Break, Titanics and Evazan. Admission is $10.