Five Firsts: Dan Johnson of Dan Johnson & the Expert Sidemen
NAME: Dan Johnson
BAND AFFILIATION: Dan Johnson and (the Expert Sidemen)
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … let’s say “Blood on the Tracks”… Hard to remember…
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … does Conehead Buddha at Valentine’s count? If not that, probably Steve Miller and the Doobie Brothers at SPAC… which was free and cool.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Oboe. PS #19 on New Scotland Ave.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … maybe “Drifter’s Escape” by Bob Dylan, at the Fuze Box…
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Three Quarter North, with Roger Allen and Dave Rhodes, and later on Paul Strausman for a bit… after him, Jim Atkins and Mark Smith joined the band, and Roger left… then I left, and they brought in some serious talent!
Dan Johnson leads his Expert Sidemen in their regular Americana Tuesdays concert series at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on most Tuesday evenings. This Tuesday, they’ll be joined by special guests J. Peter Yakel & Flood Road. Showtime is 8pm. Admission is $5.