Five Firsts: Neil Schneider of Dawn of the Hero
NAME: Neil Schneider
BAND AFFILIATION: Dawn Of The Hero
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Deftones’ “White Pony” when I was 8 years old. Great album back then, and still a great album. My first metal album I ever bought was In Flames’ “The Jester Race” when I was 9 years old, and it’s still possibly one of my favorite albums to date!
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Well, this one is embarrassing. The first concert I ever went to was Creed. But I believe I was 7 or 8 years old, so either way, I was young and didn’t discover good music til a couple years later.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The first instrument I ever played was drums, however, the first instrument I ever owned was a guitar. I tried to learn guitar, but I just kept on screwing around on my brother’s drumset, and sooner or later I was getting full beats and fills down. I just knew it was the instrument for me. And now I’ve been playing for a straight 8 – almost 9 – years.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Master of Puppets.” I performed it at my brother’s friend’s house at a small party they were throwing. It was three of us just jamming out, but the week before that I learned “Master Of Puppets” on drums, so we started jamming to that. It was definitely a great time, and the feeling of live was an amazing feeling!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Chaotic Angel. It was a really terrible progressive hardcore band that only lived for about a month or so. A couple weeks after that band was started, I was asked to join a band named Cap Gun Roulette. And then Cap Gun Roulette formed into Dawn Of The Hero.
Drummer Neil Schneider teams up with his bandmates in Dawn of the Hero to play Ralph Renna’s weekly Capital Underground Live show at Savannah’s in Albany at 8pm on Wednesday. Also on the bill are Decades and Kill on Sight. Admission is free.