Five Firsts: Tom Healey of the Tom Healey Band
NAME: Tom Healey
BAND AFFILIATION: The Tom Healey Band
INSTRUMENT: guitar, harmonica
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … After a long addiction to 45s, my first album was “Time Peace” by the Rascals.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Who in Saratoga in 1970. It was $2.50 for the lawn.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … My mother purchased a Whirlpool washer during the ’60s when the whole folk music scene was in full bloom, and they were giving acoustic guitars away with the purchase of the washing machine.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … An Irish song called , “Rising of the Moon ” when I was 14 years old in a bar called the Schuyler Pub in Watervliet. That was some gin mill, and I still miss it today.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Purple Heart. I was in seventh or eighth grade. I sang and played percussion on an electric shaver case.
Singer-guitarist Tom Healey leads the blues-soaked Tom Healey Band into Albany’s Corning Preserve at 6pm on Friday as part of the Capital District Area Labor Federation’s picnic and party. The band also rolls into the Orchard Tavern in Albany at 6:30pm on Saturday. Admission to both shows is free.