Five Firsts: John Brodeur
NAME: John Brodeur
BAND AFFILIATION: N/A
INSTRUMENT: guitar, vocals, drums, etc.
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Pretty sure my first LP was Blondie’s “Autoamerican,” though that wasn’t purchased with my own money. First cassette: Beastie Boys’ “Licensed to Ill.” First CD: LL Cool J’s “Mama Said Knock You Out.”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My folks took me along to see the Charlie Daniels Band at SPAC when I was 4 or 5. The first concert I opted to go to was Starship and Cutting Crew, also at SPAC. I think there were 40 people there.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I had one of those toy drumkits with the paper skins when I was a tot. Beat the living shit out of that thing.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Not counting elementary-school concert band? It was probably an AC/DC cover, or the Black Crowes’ version of “Hard to Handle.” I played my first original song at a talent show during my senior year of high school. It’s no longer in the repertoire.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … First “real” band, in which I wrote the songs and sang, was called Norman, in 1994-95. But going way back … a friend and I made a cassette when we were 10 or so, under the band name Smooch. High-school bands included Love Buckets and Dïerlÿza. (style note: there should be umlauts over the I and Y) Lots of awesome band names back then.