ArtBeat: Calls For Entry
Hey, look…we’ve got a new format for this category!
Upstate Artists Guild seeks entries for The Yellow Show (Deadline: April 16, 2010)
The Tang is seeking entries for For You, works by artists who have passed away but whose work and memory continue to impact individuals in the greater Capital Region. (Deadline: May 14)
EMPAC is seeking proposals for its 2010-2011 Dance Movies Commission. Selected artists receive awards ranging up to $30,000. The commission has funded thirteen projects in the last four years, including a finger puppet musical, a poetic autobiography shot entirely in Mozambique, a film were three street kids in the streets of Rio seem to juggle air, and a video installation created through 3D laser scanning.
In addition to the funding, artists can also apply to create their works in conjunction with the Artist-in-Residence program at EMPAC. Works commissioned may take advantage of EMPAC’s spaces and technology, using infrastructure such as computer-controlled rigging or large-scale immersive studio environments. (Deadline: April 15, 2010)
(Via Berkshire ArtStart) DownStreet Art is seeking guest curators for the third year of their highly successful public art initiative, which aims to revitalize downtown North Adams. Running from the end of June through mid-October, it begins with a kick-off celebration on June 24th; holds three “DownStreet Art Thursdays” (with all galleries hosting opening receptions and downtown performances); and it all culminates in North Adams Open Studios weekend on October 17th. (Deadline: March 15)
Fulton Street Gallery is accepting submissions for the 32nd Photo Regional, open to artists within a 150 mile radius of the Capital Region. The show runs from March 26-May 22. Submit up to 5 works. (Deadline: March 21)
Farm Film Fest III, originally scheduled for March 7, was been postponed due to the recent death of Crandall Theatre owner Tony Quirino. A new date will be announced later this year. However, they’re still seeking short films about farms, farming and/or the role farming plays in the local economy and food system. DVD entries should be 5 – 20 minutes long. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The entry deadline has been extended to March 15, 2010.
Hudson’s Limner Gallery is seeking etnries for Direct Art Magazine 2010: Competition for $26,000 in publication awards, including front and back covers, feature articles and display pages in the Fall 2010 edition of Direct Art Magazine, distributed to Barnes and Noble, Borders and specialty book stores. (Deadline March 31)
The Arts Center in Saratoga is currently accepting submissions for consideration for exhibitions for 2011. To be added to the mailing list to receive the call for submissions, call them at (518) 584-4132, email email@example.com OR download a prospectus. (Deadline: March 31, 2010)
The Saugerties Chamber of Commerce is accepting proposals for a public art project, “Hors’n Around Saugerties 2010.” Artists will decorate fiberglass horses which will be displayed throughout the village in July and auctioned off for charity in September. (Deadline April 1.)
Albany Center Gallery is seeking donated art for Knock It Off (PDF), a benefit party on April 23 from 6-9pm. Artworks should reinterpret well-known artworks or anything that inspires you. Whether an old master painting, classic modern, pop or postmodern, nature, bubble gum rapper, all styles and forms of expression are encouraged. Works will be auctioned off to benefit the ACG’s exhibitions and programs. (Deadline: April 5)
WMHT is soliciting original, independently-made short films for the second season of TvFILM, a weekly series spotlighting local independent filmmaking. Here’s the application form. (Deadline: April 16)
The Arts Center at Old Forge is accepting entries for a show entitled Art, Poetry and Tall Tales, slated to run from May 9 – June 6. $30 entry fee ($20 members). (Deadline for shipped work is April 23, for digital writing submissions is April 26 and for hand delivery is May 1.)
The Jay Street Gallery in Schenectrady has announced their show schedule for the year. Contact them to have your work considered for an upcoming show.
- April 16-May 18: Go Green
- May 21-June 15: Self-Portrait
- June 18-July 13: Media Madness
- July 16-August 17: Member Show
- Aug 20-Sept 14: Sculpture (3D)
- Oct 17-Oct 12: Sex, Religion and Politics
- Oct 15-Sept 14: Fear Unmasked
- For the exhibit “Outside the Lines 2010 + Pieces of Peace Youth Exhibit,” GCCA is seeking submissions from schools, art instructors, homeschoolers and community groups for a youth art show. Submissions should be 6″x6″ square children’s illustrations in response to the questions, “What does peace look like to me?” Info packet here (PDF). Exhibit runs from April 17-June 12, 2010. (Deadline for registration is March 30, 2010)
- 2000-2010 Define the Decade: a juried group exhibition inviting creative responses to a tumultous decade. Exhibit dates: June 19-August 14, 2010. (Application deadline: May 1)
- Wish You Were Here: A juried landscape exhibition based on experiences in the Catskill Park. Exhibit dates: October 16-Nov. 13, 2010. (Application deadline: September 1)
- Salon 2010: The Push Pin Show. The GCCA’s annual unjuried holiday exhibition and sale, open to all members. Exhibit dates: November 20, 2010-January 15, 2011. (Application deadline: November 1, 2010)
- Addiitonally, GCCA is accepting applications for review for solo and curated group shows. (Deadlines: May 1 and December 1.)