FIVE FIRSTS: Brian Patneaude
NAME: Brian Patneaude
BAND AFFILIATION: Brian Patneaude Quartet; Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra; Empire Jazz Orchestra; Keith Pray’s Big Soul Ensemble; and anyone else that calls.
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I can recall searching out on my own was a cassette copy of Paul McCartney’s “Tug of War” for the song “Ebony & Ivory.”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Metallica and Queensryche at the RPI Fieldhouse in 1989.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I picked up the saxophone in the 5th grade – it’s been a love/hate affair ever since.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I remember putting on an impromptu solo dance routine to the theme of “Star Wars” in front of my kindergarten classmates – does that count?
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I played drums in a trio with friends from high school ironically named Fusion. For the longest time our repertoire consisted of “In A Gadda Da Vida” and a few original songs that sounded oddly similar to “In A Gadda Da Vida.”
The Brian Patneaude Quartet takes the stage at the Van Dyck in Schenectady on Thursday, September 24.