NAME: Andy Maroney
BAND AFFILIATION: The Juice Junkees, The Ruddys, Rudeke (Yes, I play in three bands. Got a problem with that? Wanna fight about it?)
INSTRUMENT: Drums and percussion…especially cowbell
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … KISS – ALIVE! (1975). This was also the first album I had (temporarily) taken away from me so that my parents could analyze the song titles and decide whether the contents would permanently warp me forever.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … CHARLIE DANIELS BAND (1980). My parents had previously taken me to a “performance” by Shaun Cassidy a year or two before that, but I certainly couldn’t call it a real concert. The CDB show was probably the first time I ever SMELLED a concert.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I owned a small four-string ukulele but had no idea how to play it. It ended up getting painted silver with Testors model paint so I could pretend I was Ace Frehley. Eventually my inner Pete Townshend took over and it went to ukulele heaven.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … The first popular song that I can remember “performing” is “Octopus’ Garden” in 5th or 6th grade choir. I didn’t really sing much…probably just mouthed the words because I was too self-conscious of my voice. Evidently the choir was a pre-requisite to being in the band, where I could play drums, make noise and impress girls…so I thought.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The VERY first was the Pleasant Valley Elementary School Concert Band (4th grade). The first “professional” band I played in was a trio called Second Hand Blues.