A while ago I bragged about my early tomatoes. Now I’m being punished for my pride; the blight has hit my heirloom tomato patch and the only way to avoid it is to pick the tomatoes while they’re green. So, what do you do with 20 pounds of green tomatoes?
I canned a batch of chutney a few years ago and it’s still sitting on my shelf, so I’ll probably avoid green tomato chutney. Ditto for any kind of jelly or jam or marmalade or mincemeat. But I’m going to can some salsa and some green tomato ketchup this weekend.
Here’s the recipes I’m excited about trying:
- Indian spicy green tomatoes flavored with cumin, fenugreek, coriander and chillies.
- Green tomato lentil stew flavored with tamarind, chili peppers and coriander.
- Cold Turkish green tomato soup made with chicken stock, yogurt, red pepper and dill.
- Green tomato rice because everything is better with bacon.
Recipes I probably won’t try but there’s no reason you shouldn’t:
- Green tomato parmesan (kinda like eggplant parmesan!)
- Green tomato bread (kinda like zucchini bread!)
- Green tomato cake (kinda like carrot cake!)
Still lookng for more green tomato recipes? Here’s the mother lode.