Now under new ownership, Northern Lights in Clifton Park has changed its name to the Upstate Concert Hall.
We can’t think of a more generic, less imaginative name…
But then again, just how much does the name of the place really matter?
“Concert Hall” might be a bit too grandiose a description for a strip-mall bar, but, I mean, nobody actually walks into Valentine’s Music Hall expecting it to be anything like the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, do they?
Truth be told, every once in a while, we still slip up and refer to Northern Lights as Park West. Or Tiger’s Pub.
And oh, by the way, there is absolutely no truth to the rumor that McGeary’s Pub will be changing its name to the McGeary’s Performing Arts Center.
UPDATE (3pm, 5/18/12): Here’s an official statement from Ted Etoll of Step Up Presents and the Club Marketing Director of the newly dubbed Upstate Concert Hall:
“We feel a name change and new branding is essential to chart a fresh course. The club has been totally rebuilt and revitalized. With 100% control, we all felt a re-branding was necessary to show the Capital Region that this venue and its management have undertaken every step to change the image of the club physically and professionally. Upstate Concert Hall will continue to book the biggest touring shows in the country. If anyone was disappointed in their concert experience prior to the new management, please come on out and see the changes that have been done. There is no one that cannot notice this is a new club with a new energy.”
UPDATE: (4:30pm, 5/18/12): According to today’s press release from Ted Etoll, recent improvements to the former Northern Lights include:
* Beautiful full service state of the art dressing and production rooms for touring bands
* Redesigned sound system and state of the art digital sound boards
* New air conditioning
* Renovated men’s and ladies’ facilities
* Male and female bathroom attendants
* Young professional and courteous staff, all college music industry graduates
* Full line of craft draft beers
* Immaculate and impeccably maintained facility
* Wide screen TVs throughout the club for sports viewing or watching the bands
* Professionally trained and certified security