NAME: Ray Mason
BAND AFFILIATION: The Ray Mason Band
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … ‘Meet The Beatles.’ We obviously had other albums floating around that my parents bought, but this is the one I remember owning on my own and playing the heck out of.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The first ‘name’ concert I remember going to was a double bill of Gary Lewis & the Playboys with Jay & the Americans.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a Sears Silvertone electric guitar, the one with the single Danelectro pickup with the amp in the case. $69.95 brand new! My Grandmother bought it for me when I graduated from the 8th grade in 1964.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … probably one I wrote called ‘Never.’ I couldn’t copy records, so I started writing tunes at an early age!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … the Gladiators out of Holyoke, MA (my hometown). We usually came in last in the battles of the bands, except for once we came in second to last. We were overjoyed and attributed it to the fact that our lead singer took his shoes off in the middle of the set. Extra points for showmanship!
Ray Mason leaves his band behind for a solo performance at Emack & Bolio’s in Albany at 7pm on Saturday (November 21) in support of his recently released 12th CD, “Like Bugs Chewing on Paper.” Admission is free, but tips, of course, are greatly appreciated.