BAND AFFILIATION: Hair of the Dog
INSTRUMENT: Bass (also guitar, piano and drums)
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Time Out” by the Dave Brubeck Quartet (go figure).
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … Local: The Madras featuring Frank Micare on electric guitar and lead vocals. Frank’s high school band. They were incredible. They were the best “local/cover” band that I ever heard.
National: The Who at The Palace Theater in Albany, NY. I believe it was 1969. They played songs from their new album called “Tommy” as well as stuff that ended up on “Live at Leeds”. Opening act: The Flock. It was by leaps and bounds, the best concert that I ever saw to this day.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I bought a cheap, no name electric guitar at Van Curler Music on State St. in Albany in 1967. It cost probably about $100. It was not easy to play. I ended up throwing it away because it was useless. I could have gotten a used Strat at Hilton’s for a little more money. It would now be worth something like $10,000.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Either “Gloria” or “Louie Louie”. I can’t remember.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Liquid Sunshine. My parents were so proud.