INSTRUMENT: 5-string banjo, fretless banjo, 6-string guitar, 12-string guitar, concertina
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Can’t remember. Might have been Kingston Trio or Josh White (Sr.) or Bob Gibson or Spike Jones (“Dinner Music for People Who Aren’t Very Hungry” – still have it.)
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Pete Seeger; a friend took me for a birthday present. I’d never heard of Pete Seeger. Changed my life.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A plastic ukulele with colored strings – $2.50 from Stan’s Swap Shop in Tucson, AZ, where I grew up.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … (Don’t remember. See next.)
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Tahiti Three (high school trio). One of the songs we sang at our first gig was “Kawliga” from a Hank Williams record.
The marvelous, multi-talented Michael Cooney is coming out of retirement to help Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs celebrate its 52nd anniversary this weekend. Cooney will perform at 7:30pm on Friday (May 18) with a pre-concert reception at 6:30pm. Tix are $52.
BUT WAIT… Have we got a deal for you! We’re giving away one FREE TICKET to the show to a lucky Nippertown reader! To enter the contest, just go here…