Rick Bedrosian at the Woodstock Music Festival site, July 2009
NAME: Rick Bedrosian
BAND AFFILIATION: Hair of the Dog
(also guitar, piano and drums)
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Time Out” by the Dave Brubeck Quartet (go figure).
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … Local: The Madras featuring Frank Micare on electric guitar and lead vocals. Frank’s high school band. They were incredible. They were the best “local/cover” band that I ever heard.
National: The Who at The Palace Theater in Albany, NY. I believe it was 1969. They played songs from their new album called “Tommy” as well as stuff that ended up on “Live at Leeds”. Opening act: The Flock. It was by leaps and bounds, the best concert that I ever saw to this day.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I bought a cheap, no name electric guitar at Van Curler Music on State St. in Albany in 1967. It cost probably about $100. It was not easy to play. I ended up throwing it away because it was useless. I could have gotten a used Strat at Hilton’s for a little more money. It would now be worth something like $10,000.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Either “Gloria” or “Louie Louie”. I can’t remember.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Liquid Sunshine. My parents were so proud.
Rick Bedrosian and the rest of his Hair of the Dog bandmates will be performing at the Parting Glass in Saratoga Springs on the next two Fridays and Saturdays, October 30-31 and November 6-7.