Posts Tagged ‘Garland Nelson’
NAME: Garland Nelson
BAND AFFILIATION: Soul Session, the band; The Garland Nelson Ensemble; Rena Graf Quartet, Flavor (Hip Hop Jazz); Solo
INSTRUMENT: Vocals & Multi-instrumentalist
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … ha, ha … you’ll never believe this but…”Staying Alive” (the Bee Gees) on 45! Dance my behind off around the house with my family!
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Original Temptations Reunion in NYC with the Four Tops. AWESOME!!!!!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I played piano in elementary school (“Lean On Me” was my first song); I purchased congas and bongos post college. Gotta make people dance, yo!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “This Little Light of Mine” in church. Such memories….
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … If church and my own gospel group (the Quiet Storm) in college doesn’t count, then fronting the New York Players in the Capital Region.
On Tuesday night, Bruce Springsteen was performing for some 25 thousand fans at SPAC, where lawn tickets set onlookers back $40. But just a couple miles away, rhythm & blues powerhouse Garland Nelson fronted his band Soul Session for several hundred people in Saratoga’s Congress Park, where lawn tickets were free.
Sporting an ear-to-ear grin, Garland Nelson shouted that he, too, was “Born In The USA” as he launched his band into a show that exploded with funky rhythms, rocking guitar and a smoking horn-section that honked and howled behind Nelson’s soulful tenor voice.