BAND AFFILIATION: The Ukuladies
INSTRUMENT: Tap Shoes
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Queen, “The Game” – I loved getting down to “Another One Bites the Dust” and “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” in our Winnipeg living room.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Kool and the Gang. It doesn’t get any more romantic than “Joanna.”
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … in Winnipeg everyone starts out on kazoo.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “In My Life” on toy concertina, followed shortly thereafter by Special Ed’s “I Got It Made.”
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … THE UKULADIES! Well, as everyone knows, I come from a very musical family, dating back to Aunt Esther’s one-woman, big-band street shows. My cousins Genevieve and Jimmy Lu and Aunt Mary Louise play all kinds of things from flute to violin to glass trombone to canasta. And after many years of pestering and bribing, I finally convinced them to let me join The Ukuladies!!!
The tap-dancing Cousin Bunnie and her multi-talented musical family the Ukuladies will be making their Nippertown debut with a concert at MASS MoCA in North Adams at 8pm on Saturday. Tix are $12 in advance; $16 at the door; students $10.