The Dozen: April’s Must-See Concerts

Carolina Chocolate Drops

Carolina Chocolate Drops

We’re trying out a new feature. You could call it Best Bets or Top Tips or whatever. We call it The Dozen, whereby we offer a monthly round-up of 12 (or so) of the shows around Nippertown that have got us jazzed the most. One entry per venue. Of course, your results may vary. Here’s The Dozen for April:

Wed 4/2: Carolina Chocolate Drops @ The Egg, Albany
Thurs 4/3: David Greenberger and A Strong Dog @ Skidmore College’s Tang Museum, Saratoga Springs
Fri 4/4: The Figgs @ The Low Beat, Albany
Sat 4/5: Johnny Clegg @ Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy
Sat 4/5: Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience @ NaNola, Malta
Tues 4/8: The Empire Jazz Orchestra with Dave Holland @ Schenectady County Community College, Schenectady
Thurs 4/10: Alejandro Escovedo & the Sensitive Boys @ Bearsville Theater, Woodstock
Fri 4/11: The Hold Steady @ the Hollow Bar + Kitchen, Albany
Fri 4/11: Chick Corea @ College of St. Rose’s Massry Center, Albany
Fri 4/18: The Ed Palermo Big Band @ Proctors, Schenectady
Tues 4/22: Julian Lage & Chris Eldridge @ Saratoga Arts, Saratoga Springs
Sun 4/27: Geoff Muldaur @ Caffe Lena, Saratoga Spring

7 Responses to “The Dozen: April’s Must-See Concerts”

1. J Hunter says:

I’ll make it a Baker’s Dozen:
    Wed 4/16 – Kurt Rosenwinkel’s New Trio @ Skidmore College’s Zankel Music Center, Saratoga Springs. One of the best young guitarists in the genre, playing in a hall that’s pretty much acoustically perfect. Check it out!

2. Tim says:

j the rules are one show per venue(zankiel would be a strectch as both are skidmore), I am looking forward to shows that were not mentioned in this piece.

3. Michael Hochanadel says:

A nice premise, and well done. This not only shares the wealth (our attention), but it also alerts us to the extent of the wealth in musical experiences available to us through so many worthy venues.

4. Rudy says:

Like Michael said. So much music not enought time.

5. capgirl says:

Have to jump on board with my top shows of the month –

My list forces me to make some difficult choices though. Flip a coin?

Tonight – The Figgs at The Low Beat Grand Opening

4/5 David Johansen with Brian Koonin at The Falcon, Marlboro NY. David Johansen, of the New York Dolls, Buster Poindexter and the Harry Smiths fame, is THE quintessential rock star, and tells some hilarious stories between songs.
    OR
    Roots Fest 5 at The Linda, featuring performances by Rebel Darling, the Hot Club of Saratoga, Red Haired Strangers, Mt Olive Church Male Chorus and The Wiyos.
    OR
    The WCDB Anniversary party with lots of bands including Cloud Nothings. Since this show takes place on two stages (and I already used The Low Beat), we’ll say it’s at Pauly’s Hotel.

4/8 M.R.Poulopoulus and Danny Whitecotton at Arthur’s, 35 N.Ferry St, Schenectady.

4/9 Goo Goo Dolls at The Egg. I like the acoustic, storytellers format when I’ve seen other artists do shows this way. It could be great but I think I have trouble with the $60 price tag – will they be 3 times better than everybody else I’m seeing this month?

4/11 The Hold Steady at The Hollow. This will be one of the best shows of the year.
    OR
    Rhett Tyler and Early Warning at the Fuller Roadhouse for the Blues Bash/Capital Region Blues Network fundraiser.

4/16 Kingsley Flood @ the Armory, Somerville. Recording some new songs at this show.

4/17 David Wax Museum with Kingsley Flood opening at The Iron Horse, Northampton.
    OR
    B.B.King at the Palace. Also $$$, but it’s B.B.King, guaranteed to have the balcony swaying (oh wait, that was some other time I saw him there. They’ve fixed it since then).

4/19 The Devil Makes Three with Joe Fletcher opening at Pearl Street in Northampton.

I’m sure there are plenty more that haven’t come onto the radar yet…I’ll get my coin ready to flip.

6. Fred says:

Several great ones are on the list, but omitting the immortal B.B. King?!!! Dude….

7. Capgirl says:

Another great show just hit the radar.
    Swear and Shake will be at the Putnam Den on Saturday. If you missed them at Helsinki Hudson recently, you’re getting another chance…and they’re on the bill with local faves Wild Adriatic.

Caffe LenaHolly & EvanCartoonist John CaldwellAdvertise on Nippertown!Albany PoetsThe LindaHudson SoundsKeep Albany BoringLeave Regular Radio BehindBerkshire On StageArtist Charles HaymesThistle Hill Weavers