NAME: Michael Bisio
BAND AFFILIATION: Matthew Shipp Trio
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … So long ago … trying to remember, I’m going with Flowers by the Rolling Stones.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Van Morrison at RPI, but not the Field House. It was a very small room in one of those old brick buildings going down Peoples (I think) Ave. It was very early in his career, don’t think it was a $5 ticket. My memory: I walked into the room and was very surprised it was just that, a room. The band set up on on the floor. They had already started. Van Morrison was playing alto and singing. My barely teenage id was in heaven.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … As a child it seems I played several instruments for a week or a month and then moved on, but almost certainly it was a guitar.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Hit the Road, Jack”
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Must have been a neighborhood band that included Rick Rizzo, Ray Hernick, Danny Brennan and Tim Cahill. Later in my Troy High daze I had the good fortune to play in different bands with some great Troy guitarists including Dan O’Brien and Dave Costa, got to hear both these cats some months ago at a concert honoring Dan, very beautiful. There were a lot of good musicians during my formative years, got to play music with quite a few. Some have contacted me in connection to the March 15 concert, I am looking forward.
Bassman Michael Bisio anchors the Matthew Shipp Trio – also featuring pianist Matthew Shipp and drummer Whit Dickey – at 8pm on Saturday as they play a CD release concert in support of their adventurous new album, “The Root of Things,” at the Sanctuary for Independent Media in Troy. The concert – which kicks off the Sanctuary’s 2014 season – also marks the debut of the Sanctuary’s new nine-foot Baldwin grand piano. Tickets are $15.