NAME: Guy Lyons
BAND AFFILIATION: Blockhouses
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Stevie Ray Vaughn – Couldn’t Stand the Weather. I still have it.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Men at Work at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A black Les Paul copy that I bought at Modern Music in downtown Saratoga. Mike Gent later talked me into trading it in for a cymbal and stand that I would use with his drums.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Can’t remember, but it was probably “Born in the USA” performed in my parent’s open garage with an audience of two… the two most sexually active females in our junior high school at that time!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … called the Initials. The first song I remember playing was “Sunday Bloody Sunday” by U2. The other guys were impressed because I could sort of play the drum part.
Chances are that you know Guy Lyons as a member of the Figgs back in their ’90s heyday before he dropped out to attend college and start a family. Well, he’s back in the rock ‘n’ roll spotlight once again with a new band, Blockhouses, and they’ll be making their Nippertown debut at the Low Beat in Albany on Friday (February 28). Not only is the show a homecoming for Lyons, but the bash also marks the first anniversary of Saratoga Springs’ JetPack Promotions. Festivities will get underway at 8pm with Party Boat, NYC’s the Piggies (ex Little Killers) and special guests. Admission is $10.