NAME: Rob Morrison
BAND AFFILIATION: The Hollows
INSTRUMENT: Mandolin, acoustic and electric guitars, slide guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I don’t have any recollection of what the very first album I ever bought was, but I do remember that the very first CDs I ever owned (though I didn’t buy them myself) were a James Taylor live album and R.E.M.’s Monster. I got really embarrassed when I saw the phrase “secret to f*cking” in the liner notes of Monster, and consequently felt too self-conscious to play the album at home where my parents might decide to look at the jewel cases. But I absolutely dug the dirty, churning guitars of that album. I had no idea that it was an atypical sound for R.E.M. I only bought the album because my initials are R.E.M., and kids were always pointing out this mystical connection.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Billy Joel! If I remember correctly, he went up on the lyrics of “Scenes From an Italian Restaurant” despite having a TV monitor of lyrics in front of him ON the piano. (“Bottle of white/bottle of…..white”)
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Other than toys, the first real instrument I played was alto saxophone. I picked it up in elementary school and played through high school. I’ve played sax a few times since with the Hollows, but it’s been phased out. Originally, I was wooed to the instrument by a particularly cool California Raisin character. I’m really susceptible to claymation.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … The first song I ever performed in public was titled “Goo Goo Gah Gah (Suite in E Minor)”… which is my sarcastic way of saying I don’t remember. I do remember having a musical number as one of the turkeys in my kindergarten Thanksgiving pageant…
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Communist All-Stars! Our “album” (the one that existed in my mind) was titled Hiroshima Twinkie.
Five Firsts: David Paarlberg of the Hollows